Working with Popup Annotations

Questions, comments and suggestions concerning VintaSoft PDF .NET Plug-in.

Moderator: Alex

IntegraMike

Working with Popup Annotations

Post by IntegraMike »

Hello, I am working on implementing annotations in our application and am running into an issue with Popup annotations. It appears that there is no PdfPopupAnnotation object (unlike other standard PDF annotation types ex. PdfLineAnnotation), the Popup type does exist in the AnnotationType enum however. Am I missing the correct object to use for this annotation type or is there some other way I should be creating these kinds of annotations?

Opening documents created with another tool does read these annotations, but reads them as type PDfAnnotation, but I am not seeing a way to create one of these objects with the type set to Popup.

Once I get these working I'm planning to add the ability to reply to these annotations to replicate the functionality of the toolkit we're replacing, if there is an easy way to do this, any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Alex
Site Admin

Re: Working with Popup Annotations

Post by Alex »

Hello Mike,

Do you need just create PDF popup annotation or do you also need to interact with PDF popup annotation in viewer?

Best regards, Alexander
IntegraMike

Post by IntegraMike »

Hi Alex,

I need to be able to both interact and add new ones.

Thanks!
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hi Mike,

Thank you for information. We will add the ability to create PDF popup annotations and interact with PDF popup annotations in viewer in version 9.1, which is planned for release in February 2020.

Best regards, Alexander
IntegraMike

Post by IntegraMike »

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the quick response and the additional features in the next version! One other thing we will be doing with these popups is using them to reply to other popups or annotations, if there is a way you could also support that functionality natively for us that would be very helpful. Our current toolkit does this by adding a popup tied to the center of the annotation that doesn't display the closed image if it is not a popup and tieing it directly to the bottom of a popup if it is replying to and opening/closing the parent and all replies tied to it at once; I will be looking to do something similar as we convert to your software.

Thanks again for your help and responsiveness,
Mike
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hi Mike,

Thank you for explanation. We will add ability to use PDF popup annotation to reply to other PDF popup annotation or PDF annotation. To be sure that new functionality suits your needs we need to test functionality on real PDF document. Could you send us (to support@vintasoft.com) PDF document(s), which can be used for testing all features of new functionality?

Best regards, Alexander
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hi Mike,

VintaSoft Imaging .NET SDK 9.0.0.9 has been released today.

In version 9.0.0.9 we added the ability to comment PDF documents in WinForms/WPF image viewer:
  • add and remove comment or reply
  • create comment threads
  • set state for comment or reply
  • display comments on image viewer or in application interface
  • comments, which are based on PDF markup and popup annotations, are fully compatible with third party PDF viewer applications
Also we added the support for PDF text and popup annotations.

You can evaluate new functionality using our PdfEditorDemo/WpfPdfEditorDemo.

Please evaluate new functionality and let me know if you will have any question or problem.

Best regards, Alexander
IntegraMike

Post by IntegraMike »

This is great news, thank you very much! I'll start implementing this functionality into our product ASAP.