Device manager initialization problem

Questions, comments and suggestions concerning VintaSoft Twain .NET SDK.

Moderator: Alex

gnumster

Device manager initialization problem

Post by gnumster »

Hi,
I am really new to Vintasoft TWAIN so please forgive me for asking what may be a silly question here.

I've just tried to run Vintasof Demo which I've found right after I've installed "VSTwainNet83.zip" package. Here is where I've found the demo project:
C:\Program Files (x86)\VintaSoft\VintaSoftTwain.NET v8.3\Examples\VS.NET.2010\CSharp\WpfTwainSimpleDemo
What I did was, I've opened it in Visual Studio 10 - it went well, no problem. Built - again no problem. Started - all good, some UI with buttons and usual stuff. Evaluation dialog comes up, clicked "Evaluate" - all good. Clicked big button "Acquire Image(s)" on the next screen. Next thing happened is "Cannoot initialize the device manager." error message.

Then I have found in FAQ section of support website a short article suggesting to set TWAIN logging in Environment variables. I did that and tried to start again. Same result. No log found in set up location.

Next this article in FAQ suggested was to enable Vintasoft TWAIN logging, which I did by adding the following line into "MainWindow.xaml.cs" of demo project (above) line 159. Following line was added:

Code: Select all

TwainEnvironment.EnableDebugging(@"C:\twain\vstwain.log");
Then I've started demo program again, with the same result as before. This time however I've found "C:\twain\vstwain.log" file. Following is what was in the file:
28/05/2013 7:32:40 a.m. 67,706,880 Debugging enabled [8.3.4.1]
28/05/2013 7:32:40 a.m. 67,829,760 Device manager is opening PathToDSM=C:\Windows\TWAIN_32.DLL State=Closed
28/05/2013 7:32:40 a.m. 67,829,760 Cannot initialize the device manager.
28/05/2013 7:33:12 a.m. 69,361,664 Device manager is closing State=Closed
28/05/2013 7:33:12 a.m. 69,361,664 Device manager is closed State=Closed
Scanner machine that I'm trying to use is "Kodak i1420". I have installed its latest and greatest drivers available from vendor website. Scanner's driver runs its test perfectly with images acquired and everything looks good.

Any ideas on what to try to do next please?
Alex
Site Admin

Re: Device manager initialization problem

Post by Alex »

Hello,

I think you have 64-bit version of Windows.

Please read the 'I see "Cannot initialize the device manager" message when I open the device manager. How to solve this problem?' and 'I cannot see devices in the TWAIN selection dialog of my application but can see them in other applications. Why?' topics in documentation:
http://www.vintasoft.com/docs/vstwain-d ... oting.html

and let me know if you will have any question or problem.

Best regards, Alexander
gnumster

Post by gnumster »

Thank you for prompt reply!

You're right I am on Windows 7 x64.

I tried to follow steps suggested on that page. It helped to make compiled demo application working. I mean the one in /Bin folder.

When I try to compile the same application from source-code - same problem as before. It can't open device manager. I have replaced the reference in project to DLL from x86 sub-folder and changed project target to x86. Now it does open device manager but it can't find any attached devices. Compiled example from /Bin works fine though.

Any further ideas please?

Thank you!
Alex
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hello Alex,
Now it does open device manager but it can't find any attached devices. Compiled example from /Bin works fine though.
You can see devices when you run our demo from "Bin" directory and cannot see devices when you compile and run example from source codes. Am I right?

What example do you use? By default example has reference to Vintasoft.Twain.dll compiled in AnyCPU mode. You need remove this reference and add reference to Vintasoft.Twain.dll compiled in x86 mode, after this you need recompile the example in x86 mode.

Best regards, Alexander
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hello Alex,

Have you solved the problem?

Best regards, Alexander