New features request for version 5.0 of VintaSoftTwain.NET

Questions, comments and suggestions concerning VintaSoft Twain .NET SDK.

Moderator: Alex

Alex
Site Admin

New features request for version 5.0 of VintaSoftTwain.NET

Post by Alex »

New features which will be available in version 5.0 of VintaSoftTwain.NET Library:
  • TWAIN 2.0 support
If you have some idea or suggestion, please write it here.
ethosgroup

Re: New features request for version 5.0 of VintaSoftTwain.NET

Post by ethosgroup »

I did have one suggestion that might be worth while, being able to write the Image buffer to disk and recall it.

The project I am currently working in will be deployed to people with older hardware, at best usually WinXP with 512 MB RAM. Which is ok, but when they are scanning 100+ images in to memory, while the user has tons of other apps open, tends to bog the PC down.

Would there be a way to do the following cycle:

Do Until all images scanned
{
-Acquire image
-Do some processing on image
-Write image to disk
}
-Recall buffer from disk to save images in PDF's.

The most important thing here would be to keep the images in the same index position at which they were acquired for saving purposes.

Does this make sense?
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hello,

VintaSoftTwain.NET Library allows to add images to an existing PDF document so you can acquire images in a loop and save/add them to a PDF document. Maybe I have understood you not correctly?

Best regards, Alexander
ethosgroup

Post by ethosgroup »

Oh, yes, right I understand that you can add multiple images to the same PDF file.

Maybe it would help if I could explain my scenario.

What I am scanning with this library are contracts that have two barcodes on them, one barcode has the contract # and the other has a form type and page number. So, as each image is acquired I spawn a thread that finds the barcodes (with Vintasoft Barcode .NET) and then add the index in the twain buffer, form type, page number, contractnumber into a datatable. So, it is highly possible that the last of a contract may be scanned first, and the first page may be scanned last of the same contract, so therefore i have to wait till every image is scanned to make PDF files.

Then, once all the contracts are scanned it makes PDFs for each contract number and puts the pages in order by page number.

What I was suggesting is a way to store the acquired and processed images on the disk instead of holding them in RAM since the machines I will be dealing with don't have very much, and scanning 100+ images at once can take up a lot of room.

So, I would read the images in, and then the twain driver could push the images to a harddisk buffer in the same order they were acquired. Then, once all the images have been read I can recall the buffer and save the PDF files before clearing out the buffer.

Maybe something like....

while scanning
{
-Acquire image at index = i, process image at index i
-Store index i on disk
}
// now that all images are scanned
VSTwain1.RecallStoredImages() //hypothetical function

for each index to VSTwain1.NumImages - 1
-Save PDF to disk in page order
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hello,

Thank you for explanation. I think you should use VintaSoftImaging.NET Library with VintaSoftTwain.NET Library - Twain library will acquire images and save them to a disk and the Imaging library will save images from disk as a single PDF document.

Best regards, Alexander
mischa1006

Post by mischa1006 »

Hello,

I have two ideas for new features:

TWAIN 2.0 / 64 Bit support
support for the PDF JBIG2 image format

And one minor feature request:

Could you please add the property FlatbedPresent - that would be easier than the current procedure.

Best regards

Mischa
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hello Misha,

Thank you for suggestion. New version of VintaSoftTwain.NET Library will be compatible with TWAIN 2.0 standard.

Best regards, Alexander