iOS 13 issue with text annotations

Questions, comments and suggestions concerning VintaSoft Annotation .NET Plug-in.

Moderator: Alex

david.morrison

iOS 13 issue with text annotations

Post by david.morrison »

We are having an issue with editing the text on text annotations with the new iOS 13 update. When you double click a text annotation, nothing happens. Sometimes if you continuously click it over and over it will finally go into edit mode.
This can be reproduced by:
  1. Go to the demo page on an iPad using iOS 13 - https://demos.vintasoft.com/AspNetMvcAnnotationDemo/
  2. Switch to the Annotations tab
  3. Click the Text annotation
  4. Add a Text annotation to the screen
  5. Double click to edit the text

The same functionality worked fine on iOS 11 and iOS 12, and it doesn't seem to matter if requesting desktop site or mobile site. Has anyone found a workaround?
Alex
Site Admin

Re: iOS 13 issue with text annotations

Post by Alex »

Hello,

Thank you for information.

Could you open the developer console in your internet browser and check for errors in developer console?

We will try to reproduce the problem on our side but for doing this we need some time.

Best regards, Alexander
david.morrison

Post by david.morrison »

There are no javascript errors on the iPad (using a macbook to connect to check the console).

I tried another page using a standard javascript ondblclick event and it works fine. Can you give me any more details on how the annotation is detecting a double click, or anywhere in the code I could look to help troubleshoot?

Thank you
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

d99vinta wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:05 pm I tried another page using a standard javascript ondblclick event and it works fine. Can you give me any more details on how the annotation is detecting a double click, or anywhere in the code I could look to help troubleshoot?
SDK does not use "ondblclick" event because this event works differently in different internet browsers. Also "ondblclick" event is not generated in sensor screens.

SDK uses "mousedown" and "mouseup" events and calculates if double click occurs. Please subscribe to the "ondblclick", "mousedown" and "mouseup" events, check the event sequence when you double click and let me know result.

Best regards, Alexander
david.morrison

Post by david.morrison »

Using this to test: http://jsfiddle.net/osfwzm3v/2/
On the iPad with iOS 13 I get:
mousedown
mouseup
dblclick
mousedown
mouseup

On an iPad with iOS 11 I get:
mousedown
mouseup
mousedown
mouseup
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

d99vinta wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:27 pm Using this to test: http://jsfiddle.net/osfwzm3v/2/
On the iPad with iOS 13 I get:
mousedown
mouseup
dblclick
mousedown
mouseup

On an iPad with iOS 11 I get:
mousedown
mouseup
mousedown
mouseup
Thank you for information. Unfortunately, provided information does not allow to understand the problem.

What internet browser do you use? Maybe problem is related with browser, not with iOS?

In Monday we will try to reproduce the problem on iPad with iOS 13. We will contact you and will try to trace problem on your side if we cannot reproduce the problem on our side.

Best regards, Alexander
david.morrison

Post by david.morrison »

All iPad testing is using the default Safari browser. It looks like with iOS 13 Safari has started responding to the ondblclick event, and it is in the middle of the 2 mousedown/mouseup events that used to trigger the annotation text edit box.
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Thank you for information. We have reproduced the problem and will fix it in shortest time. I will let you know when problem is fixed.

Best regards, Alexander
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hello,

We tested iPad with iOS 13.1.2 and have found that Safari 13 raises only 1 "mouseup" event if we do fast 2 clicks. After this we have found this discussion on GitHub: https://github.com/Leaflet/Leaflet/issues/6817

Please read the discussion and you will find that Apple developers classified the problem as bug and promised to fix the bug in iOS 13.2. Now we are waiting for iOS 13.2.

Best regards, Alexander
david.morrison

Post by david.morrison »

Thank you for your research, I was not able to find anything about it.

I have updated my iPad to 13.2 beta 2 (17B5068e), and can confirm the issue is fixed in the text annotation double click.

Thanks again for the help!